In a quest to get over my perpetual blogger’s block and blogging more frequently, I’ve been trying to come up with a (fun) regular post I could write and publish on a weekly basis on one specific day of the week. Today, on my early morning walk/hike, I came up with “Make Me A List Monday” idea. My goal is to create a blog post every Monday, listing 10 things I enjoy, care about, love or am obsessed with. I figure Mondays are no one’s favorites, so they especially need a heavy dose of the good and happy. Starting small, my goal is to keep this up for the next 4 Mondays. This inaugural post of Make Me A List Monday is about all the things I love about today. Here we go…
The Ten Things I Have Loved About Today (So Far):
1. Waking up early. I’ve discovered that I am a morning person and that the earlier I wake, the happier I tend to be. Today, I woke up at 6:30 am and have been loving the effects of it all day long
2. My early morning walk. Who could have a bad day after a 90 minute walk/hike along a field of spring flowers and among rabbits, hummingbirds, cranes, and happy-go-lucky dogs that run over to say good morning?
3. Being able to wipe away the tears and bounce back from sadness. As I drove to the running trail, in the early hours of this morning, I felt an overwhelming sense of sadness and frustration. An exchange with a friend inadvertently triggered the episode and by the time I turned into the parking lot and turned the car off, I was in tears. Frankly, I felt like turning around and driving right back home. Instead, I sat and let the tears come. And after a little internal pep talk and a few deep breaths, I was ready to keep going. I conquered the sadness of this morning and I’ve been feeling positive and upbeat ever since.
4. Enjoying the absolute solitude. This one’s been one of my biggest life accomplishments. Having been raised as an only child, I always felt lonely and in need of companionship. I spent most of my twenties, longing to be surrounded by people, events and noise, trying to drown out the silence of being alone. That is no longer how I feel in life. At some point this morning, I realized that the only noise around was the crunch of my own footsteps on the gravel covering the trail I was journeying on. And, I found that absolute solitude absolutely blissful.
5. Facebook, Instagram and WordPress. I am serious! These social networking tools allow me to keep in touch with people from around the world, express my thoughts, publish my writing, be creative and meet new people. How amazing is that!
6. Feeling the promise of the week. I am a staunch believer of regular rebooting and starting anew whenever necessary. I wake up each day, usually very excited at the notion that I get a whole new day to start again. Imagine how I feel about a whole new week! This morning, I woke up wondering what this week will bring and hoping that whatever it is, that it will be good. I have high hopes.
7. Reading a quote that hits me in the right spot. I’ve been struggling to get out from under a whole of sadness recently. And, I’m exhausted from the weight of all the advice well-meaning people keep bestowing on me: “positive thinking is what you need”; “what you should do is stop worrying”; “practice mindfulness”; “you just need to believe”, “why are you sad when there’s so much good in your life?” Sometimes, life gets us down. What helps is not a constant stream of well-meaning “HAPPY” advice, which basically amounts to: “just stop being sad and keep going.” Sometimes, all a person needs is sympathy, compassion and understanding from those around her. And when that’s lacking, a great quote can be such a stress reliever. Mine came today in the form of a wise quote from Rae Smith:
“Never be afraid to fall apart because it is an opportunity
to rebuild yourself the way you wish you had been all along.”
8. Coming home to my dog. Non-dog owners will never know how amazing it is to have the love of a dog in their lives. Having a dog is at times better than having 100 people who’re really there for you and love you to pieces. When I got home today, there was Stella-happy to see me, ready to be fed and wanting to go for a walk with Mommy. She’s my first baby, no matter what. And, she brings me happiness each and every day.
9. Going on a walk with Stella. Her energy, her curiosity and her playfulness are all infectious. I challenge anyone to have a bad day after a walk with my Stella!
10. Having a few minutes to enjoy a pot of lavender Earl Grey tea, while journaling and organizing my calendar for the week before really having to get going with my day. Oh what a joy it is to sit, gather the thoughts, write a little and organize for the week, while enjoying a beautiful pot of freshly brewed tea! Heaven!
Happy Monday and Happy New Week.